Friday, September 24, 2010

So Many Blogs...So Little Time!

I love using the Internet for research....Several years ago, a close friend of mine told me that she was taking on online math class and said, "You should be doing this!" It wasn't until I started taking classes online myself two years ago that I became interested in teaching a math class online.
For more than a year now, I've been following two online teaching blogs, Teach Online and Teaching in Pajamas in my research into this field. I like how blogs like these give me a glimpse into the experiences of other people who are working in a field that I am "researching". I was very excited to be offered the opportunity to teach online for the first time this fall, and these blogs have provided education, valuable tips and inspiration.


Since working with Todd and Stacey this past summer, and now with this class, I am becoming more and more interested in learning about and using the technology that's available to enhance my classes. Since I work for a public high school, funds are tight. Two blogs that offer good information, including free technology, are Free Technology for Teachers and Teaching College Math. The Teaching College Math blog not only talks about the blogger's experience in incorporating technology as she teaches, but also provides instruction, as in the post, "5 tips for using a bamboo tablet". (Guess what I am learning to use right now???). I find the ability to be able to search past blog posts for topics that I am interested in one of my favorite features of blogs!

The musings of a math teacher, I found in Kiss My Asymptotes.com. I enjoy reading about techniques that this third-year math teacher is trying out in his classes, and how they are working for him.

Well, this was my first attempt to find blogs, and I can see that there is much for me to explore...I need more hours in the day! LOL!

1 comment:

  1. I am always looking for new resources. The whole online method has not been my cup of tea. I too feel like there are not enough hours in the day to look and choose from the websites that link to a link to another link and the other link.

    ReplyDelete