Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Teaching Philosophy

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself. Abraham Maslow

Math can serve as a major barrier for students achieving a degree; thus, sensitive, patient instructors are of great value. I strive to create in my classroom an environment that encourages each student to succeed and in which students can feel safe to ask questions, and to make and correct mistakes. My work with students with behavioral and emotional disorders and students with learning disabilities has made me even more aware of the struggle that some students have for the subject, their "math phobia" and the gaps in their math background.
I've seen firsthand the effect that having high expectations and clearly defined individualized objectives for each student, coupled with caring and support can have on our students, and I strive to hold my students to high educational standards while communicating the belief that they can succeed in math and in school.

I consider my passion for teaching math, especially those courses which traditionally have the least-experienced students, one of my strengths, and my enthusiasm for the subject shows in my classroom presence and in my interactions one-on-one with my students. I derive by far the greatest satisfaction from helping students increase their self-confidence and ability in math problem-solving, and to that end, I strive to utilize a variety of teaching techniques in my classroom. I enjoy making my classes interactive with the use of collaborative groups, peer tutoring, and learning aids. To engage my students' multiple intelligences, I make frequent use of manipulatives, such as fraction bars, dice and spinners while studying probabilities and I encourage my students to do web research on math topics. Students may play math games to build their multiplication skills, use online flashcards for review, and they may make three dimensional polyhedra and other "art projects" while studying geometry. I have had many positive comments from students about the atmosphere of my classes.

In addition to encouraging my students to succeed in math, I strive to teach my students that they are self empowered individuals. To this end, I build a relationship with my students by taking the time to engage in personal conversations with them. I ask them, "how are you?" and then I listen to their response. This summer, as part of a master teachers' seminar, I viewed a seminar by Dr. Sue Mosolf on "Motivating and Managing Student Behavior" which has inspired me to change the verbiage that I use when giving student encouragement or feedback. Dr. Mosolf states that today's young people are not motivated by pleasing adults in the way they used to be in past generations; so when she is giving student feedback or encouragement, she uses "you" statements rather than "I" statements. As a result, where I used to say "I'm proud of you for getting so much work done in your math this week", I'll now say, "You should be proud of yourself for doing such good work in your math this week." Dr. Mosolf also states that students will become self motivated when they believe that they are valuable people, and as teachers, we may be the only person that gives the student that message all day long. She reminds us that it only takes one teacher to make a difference in someone's life and paraphrases, from Maslow, "it only takes one experience that is defining to change our definition of ourselves." This week, three of my high school students were "hanging out" at my desk during break, and one of them told me, "Ms. Fernandez, we like you because you listen." That statement felt as indicative of my success with these students as when they master a new math concept.

Because I care about the success of my students, even after many years in the classroom, I continue to participate in professional development, to look for ways in which I may better engage my students, and I am not afraid to try new teaching techniques. My passion for learning shows and I hope to inspire my students to themselves be lifelong learners.

7 comments:

  1. Look at your blog! Very nice.


    You talk much about motivation and some affective behaviors in your philosophy. One thing I noticed was that the word "fun" was missing. One thing about you and how you role model your learning, that I see anyway, is you are always smiling and seem to really enjoy the "work" you do. Your passion does show and it does inspire. Everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the observation Todd! You are right, I do have fun working with my students! I'll be sure to incorporate the word into my philosophy. That is a valuable observation and useful feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Jacquie! I wish I could have been a math student in your class! I have struggled with math all my life and I now see that struggle in my older daughter. It is so exciting to see her "get" a concept but then becomes frustrating when simple arithmetic mistakes result in wrong answers. I had to drill, drill, drill the math facts... is there another way?
    And I love, love, love the Maslow quote about defining oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel fortunate to have you as my instructor! Math is a struggle for me, as many others, I know. It is so frustrating when you get a concept, but a simple mistake produces the wrong answer!! I am definately experiencing that. I really appreciate your FUN attitude, great listening skills, and supportive and encouraging philosophy. Great job with your blog page, love the purples, and the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You certainly have a passion for teaching. I feel proud to have you in the profession. Your students are certainly lucky to have you in their lives. With you as part of the next generation of teachers the interest in math will certainly rise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cathleen, Heather and Gail for the great posts. Cathleen, some math facts do need the drill, drill, drill especially the basics of multiplication/division/addition/subtraction. I have had success in the past helping students raise their algebra scores when I first helped them learn their multiplication tables! Although many students use calculators for these facts, I have found that helping students learn basic multiplication gives them self confidence (they feel "bad" because they can't multiply, a topic they "should" have learned in elementary school). The self esteem helps them then tackle the more complicated topics in their high school math classes. Also standardized tests do not allow the use of calculators!
    Heather, you are so right, that little mistakes in math can give the wrong answer. That's why I like to look at my student's work so that I may see whether an error in a math problem is a concept error or a "little" mistake (sign error, etc...) Currently, I'm spending several hours looking at each online quiz that your class just took so that I may assign more partial credit! Hang in there! You'll do fine!!
    Gail, thanks for your faith in me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your support, but I am ready to give up today!!! simple problems like working the computer/excel, saving, posting, read-only argggggg! It's getting the best of me. I turned to this class for some fun.

    ReplyDelete